Dec 21, 2006 -- Fordham University dropped one slot (from 10th to 11th) in today's new ACHA Division 3 rankings. This marks the first time this season that the Rams have not been ranked in the top ten. Fordham's had a lackluster 1-3 record during the current ranking period (which ended December 18) which saw the team lose all of their 3 games by only 1 goal each. During the 3 ranking periods this season the Rams have dropped one slot each period, from 9 to 10 to 11.
1. California of PA (last ranking period #2)
2. SUNY - Albany State (last ranking period #1) *
3. Indiana of PA (last ranking period #3)
4. PSU - Berks (last ranking period #4)
5. Fairfield University (last ranking period #9) *
6. St. Vincent College (last ranking period #5)
7. Robert Morris (last ranking period #7)
8. Monmouth University (last ranking period #8)
9. Southern Connecticut State (last ranking period #11) *
10. Hofstra University (last ranking period #6) *
11. Fordham (last ranking period #10) *
* Denotes M.C.H.C. team
For those of you unfamiliar with it, the (ACHA) American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA) began as a men's collegiate club hockey league in 1992, and quickly grew to a league of over 150 teams in three men's divisions. The Women's Division was added in 2000, and currently boasts four divisions with over 300 teams from across the nation. Divisions are usually based on school size however over this past summer the MCHC approached the ACHA about waving the student population issue to guarantee entrance in the Division 3 level. An accord was met and now Fordham as well as a predominant numbers of other MCHC teams joined the Atlantic conference last year. So now, not only is a league game important, it is now, in most instances considered an ACHA game as well and take on an even greater impact.
The ACHA ranking committee gathers information on the various teams from the four regions Atlantic - North - South - Pacific. Each region is ranked on a monthly basis with the top four ranked teams in each region at the end of February, meeting to play for a national championship. This season the championships will be held in Fort Wayne Indiana February 28 - March 3.