Fordham Beats New Paltz, Loses to C.C.M.
By Drew Mola / Fordham Hockey Online

Nov 15, 2006 -- Recap from New Paltz and C.C.M....

vs. New Paltz
Last Friday night, the Rams completed their season sweep of SUNY - New Paltz with an 8-1 victory. Fordham jumped out to a 3-0 lead after the first period and never looked back. The game was actually a lot closer than it appeared from the score. Seahawk Goalie Matt DeTone played outstanding in the nets for almost 50 minutes but, just like in their meeting last week, a short bench hurt New Platz as the Rams pulled away in the third. Fordham Junior net minder Dan Callaghan notched his first win of the year while turning away 17 shots. Leading the offense were Seniors Steve Casey and Steve Barrett with 2 goals each.

vs. C.C.M.
The Sunday night match up in Morristown, NJ was, in one word, heartbreaking. Fordham took a 2-0 lead into the early part of the second period before the Titans rattled off 4 goals in a 10 minute span. The Rams faced an unfamiliar situation for the first time this season, trailing in a game going into the third period. Fordham answered back quickly with a Dave Improta power play goal 2 minutes into the final stanza. The Rams jumped ahead later in the period with a Matt Pangia goal (his second of the game) and then again with another Improta power play with 8 minutes left, to take a 5-4 lead. The game remained scoreless until, with less than minute remaining, C.C.M. called timeout and pulled their goalie. With Fordham unable to clear the puck out of its defensive zone, the Titans capitalized on the man advantage with a game tying goal with only 32 left.

Winning the ensuing face-off, the Titans once again put pressure in the Rams defensive zone and, with only 4 seconds left in the game, C.C.M. forward Drew Greco slipped the puck past Ram goalie Joe Wichowski for the 6-5 final. This marks the second game in a row where C.C.M. has come from behind, with less than a minute left, to win an M.C.H.C. game. Last week the Titans defeated SUNY-Farmingdale 4-3 scoring 2 goals within the last minute of play. The loss, Fordham's first road loss of the year, brings to an end a streak of 8 straight road wins which began back to February of last semester.

Return to News »